Support and Resources For Pastors and
Christian Ministry Professionals
Thomas F. Fischer, M.Div., M.S.A., Editor
The Festival Of The Holy Trinity
First Sunday After Pentecost
Option A: From Kelly Bedard
Heavenly Heirs Apparent
A. Bred by the Father
1. From adopted sons (adopted children might not get an equal inheritance) to children (the Spirit of sonship) by new birth (Gospel)
2. With child-like--not childish--faith (spontaneous, strong and exuberant), crying "Abba" (akin to "Daddy," affectionate--not ordinarily used of God, though Jesus used it in the most trying times of His life [cf. Mark 14:36], and generally, to address His Father)
B. "Dead" like the Son (Co-heirs with Christ)
1. Suffering (e.g., self-sacrifice)--spiritual contractions, if you will--though neither penal nor terrifying nor meritorious
2. Ultimately, however, glory--likeness to Him and the everlasting vision and enjoyment of Him
C. Led by the Spirit
1. And thus assured of our adoption ("The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children")
2. To conquer fear (of legal bondage, unpardoned sin)
Kelly Bedard, B.A., M.Div.
Option B: From Wayne Dobratz
I. It was there before time began
A. There was love between the persons of the Holy Trinity before the universe was created
B. This is the meaning of "God is love."
1. Jesus speaks about this in John 17:24-25
2. This is the love that Jesus wants to dwell in Gods people John 17:26
II. It stills fear
A. You are not a slave--subject to punishment ("fear"--v15)
B. But you a "son"--a legal heir (regardless of gender--Gal. 3:28)
III. The Spirit reminds you that you are family with God
A. Being family with God you have the privilege of prayer-- v.15
B. You are Jesus brothers & sisters--Heb. 2:11
1. This gives victory over death--Lk. 20:36
2. It gives guidance from the Spirit--Rom. 8:14
3. You have the Spirits sanctifying influence--Phil. 2:15
4. You have angels as your servants--Heb. 1:14
IV. You are written into Jesus will--v. 17
A. This means sharing in His sufferings in this life
1. He suffered so that you might be justified--v.17
2. Belonging to Him has its consequences--Matt. 10:25
B. Belonging to Him brings eternal glory
1. "Share in His glory"--v.17
2. Having the hope of eternal life--Tit. 3:7
3. The light is already shining--Eph. 5:8 & I Thess. 5:5
Charles Haddon Spurgeon writes: As "heir of all things," Jesus is the sole proprietor of the vast creation of God, and he has admitted us to claim it all as ours, by virtue of that deed of joint-heir-ship which the Lord has ratified with his chosen people. The golden streets of paradise, the pearly gates, the river of life, the transcendent bliss, and the unutterable glory, are, by our blessed Lord, deeded over to us for our everlasting possession.
All that he has he shares with his people. The crown royal he has placed upon the head of his Church, appointing her a kingdom, and calling her sons a royal priesthood, a generation of priests and kings. He un-crowned himself that we might have a coronation of glory; he would not sit upon his own throne until he had procured a place upon it for all who overcome by his blood.
Crown the head and the whole body shares the honor. Behold here the reward of every Christian conqueror! Christs throne, crown, scepter palace, treasure, robes, heritage, are yours. Far superior to the jealousy, selfishness, and greed, which admit of no participation of their advantages, Christ deems his happiness completed by his people sharing it. "The glory which you gave me I have given them." "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."
The smiles of his Father are all the sweeter to him, because his people share them. The honors of his kingdom are more pleasing, because his people appear with him in glory. More valuable to him are his conquests, since they have taught his people to overcome. He delights in his throne, because on it there is a place for them. He rejoices in his royal robes, since over them his skirts are spread. He delights the more in his joy, because he calls them to enter into it.
Rev. Wayne Dobratz, B.S., M.Div.
Ministry Health Sermon Starters
© Copyright 2000-- All Rights Reserved
Go to Main Page
Main Site: http://ministryhealth.net/
FrontPage and Microsoft Internet Explorer are registered trademarks of
This page was revised on: Friday, January 20, 2006 12:10:32 PM