Support and Resources For Pastors and
Christian Ministry Professionals
Thomas F. Fischer, M.Div., M.S.A., Editor
Second Sunday After Pentecost
From Rev. Kelly Bedard...
"Wait Until Your Brother (Jesus) Comes (Almost) 'Home'!"
Note: though perhaps a bit cumbersome--so pare it down as you will!--the sermon title is a Gospel handle on the Law-oriented phrase "Wait Until Your Father Comes Home!" and a textual lead into the secular calendar's Father's Day observance.
1. Sending others to plead our case: Jewish elders, those of rank and stature
2. "Deserved" healing because of our love of people and service toward others
1. In our Brother Jesus, the Jewish Elder of pre-eminent rank and stature
2. Undeserved healing resulting in great faith in God and love toward others
1. erotao (verse 3): to question, ask, request, entreat, beg, beseech
2. parakaleo (verse 4): to call to one's side, call for, summon; to admonish, exhort; to beg, entreat, beseech; to strive to appease by entreaty
3. "Love[s] our nation..." (verse 5) is agapao
4. ethnos (verse 5): in the OT, foreign nations not worshipping the true God, pagans, Gentiles; Paul uses the term for Gentile Christians
5. skullo (verse 6): to skin, flay; to rend, mangle; to vex, trouble, annoy; to give one's self trouble, trouble one's self
6. iaomai (verse 7): to cure, heal; to make whole; to free from errors and sins, to bring about (one's) salvation
7. thaumazo (verse 9): to wonder, wonder at, marvel; to be wondered at, to be had in admiration
8. strepho: (verse 9): to turn, turn around; to turn one's self (i.e., to turn the back to one of one who no longer cares for another); metaphorically, to turn one's self from one's course of conduct, i.e., to change one's mind
9. hugiaino (verse 10): to be sound, to be well, to be in good health; metaphorically, of Christians whose opinions are free from any mixture of error; of one who keeps the graces and is strong
10. Only here and in Mark 6:6, marveling at unbelief, is Jesus described as "amazed."
Ministry Health Sermon Starters
Copyright 2001 Ministry Health, LLC
All Rights Reserved
Go to Main Page
Main Site: http://ministryhealth.net/
FrontPage and Microsoft Internet Explorer are registered trademarks of
This page was revised on: Friday, January 20, 2006 12:10:34 PM