Support and Resources For Pastors and
Christian Ministry Professionals
Thomas F. Fischer, M.Div., M.S.A., Editor
From Thomas F. Fischer
Pentecost: Making The Miracle Happen...In You
A. TOP TEN THINGS PEOPLE WON'T SAY WHEN THEY SEE A CHRISTIAN BUMPER STICKER
OR FISH ON A CAR
10. "Look! Let's stop that car and ask those folks how we can become
9. "Don't worry, Billy, those people are Christians. They must have a good
reason for driving 90 miles an hour."
8. "What a joy to be sharing the highway with another car of Spirit-filled
brothers and sisters."
7. "Isn't it wonderful how God blessed that Christian couple with a
6. "Dad, how come people who drive like that don't get thrown in jail? Can
we get a bumper sticker like that, too?"
5. "Stay clear of those folks, Martha. If they get raptured, that car's
gonna be all over the road!"
4. "Oh, look! That Christian woman is getting a chance to share Jesus with a
3. "No, that's not garbage coming out of their windows, Bert. It's probably
gospel tracts for the
2. "Oh boy, we're in trouble now! We just rear-ended one of God's cars."
1. "Quick, Alice, honk the horn or they won't know that we love Jesus!"
B. Wouldn't it be great if they would say these things? If they did.it'd be
C. Pentecost was just as unlikely, unexpected-and miraculous-as these
sayings would be if people would say them.
II Examining The Pentecost Miracle
A. What was the REAL miracle: The obvious: What was seen and heard:
tongues, wind, crowds, language
B. The Not-so-obvious: the unlikely, unexpected and miraculous working
of the Holy Spirit to work His grace in the hearts of people and to create
saving faith in Jesus Christ.
C. Three results:
1. Share the grace of Jesus Christ through preaching
2. Create faith through the means of God's Word
3. Change and transform hearts and lives to 'preach repentance and
forgiveness of sins to all nations"
D. But which is the greatest miracle? Which is the one we'd most like to
have today? ALL of them!!!
III Re-Experiencing the Pentecost miracle today!
A. The miracle has a fourth result: freeing of God's people for their
unique, individual, called ministry.
B. Regarding the "pouring out of the Spirit on all flesh" Martin Luther
"The prophet says that it will be much different in the case of that new
people. Here there will be no respect for persons, for to each will be given
the authority to teach and preach, neither through man nor by man by
divinely by God. There will not be some other--as there was in that old
people--of those who alone had the power of priestly function. Instead, the
Holy Spirit will be poured out on all flesh. All will be teachers and
priests of God. Therefore it was especially necessary for this kingdom, so
clearly different from that earlier one--to be established and confirmed by
obvious signs and by an open revelation, or outpouring, of the Spirit, for
certainly that secret revelation of the Spirit was also in the synagog
[sic]." LW, Vol 18, p. 106.109, CPH, 1975
C. The greatest way to relive the miracle of Pentecost today would be to
experience unlikely, unexpected and miraculous working of the Holy Spirit it
happen in this church.and in you. Wouldn't that be.
1. the greatest response to God's limitless grace in Jesus Christ we
2. the way that the Pentecost miracle could be relived today and
3. the greatest working of God's Spirit in you?
IV Final Reflections:
A. When the miracle of Pentecost occurred, the Disciples had a choice-to
stand on the steps of Jerusalem and proclaim or go back to their own homes.
They didn't have to "wait in Jerusalem" as Jesus commanded them (Luke 24;
Acts 11). But they did. Why? Because they knew the remarkable grace which
Jesus gave them via His death and resurrection. Anticipating greater joy,
they were eager for the power of God to work through them in an even greater
way than before. They didn't know what to expect: they didn't know
specifically what God would have them do, where they would do it, or the
results. But they did know one thing: As they responded joyfully to God's
calling, they would experience even the greater miraculous working of God's
Holy Spirit in, with and through them.
B. The Pentecost miracle still occurs to today. Like the disciples, we have
a choice. Will we simply go back to our own homes? Or will we stand on the
streets of our cities and eagerly expect-and respond-to God's desire to work
the Pentecost miracle in, with and through you.
Rev. Thomas F. Fischer
Ministry Health Sermon Starters
Copyright 2001 Ministry Health, LLC
All Rights Reserved
Go to Main Page
Main Site: http://ministryhealth.net/
FrontPage and Microsoft Internet Explorer are registered trademarks of
This page was revised on: Friday, January 20, 2006 12:10:34 PM